The capital-T Truth is about life before death. It is about making it to 30, or maybe 50, without wanting to shoot yourself in the head. It is about simple awareness -- awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, that we have to keep reminding ourselves, over and over: "This is water, this is water." It is unimaginably hard to do this, to stay conscious and alive, day in and day out.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
David Foster Wallace would have been 50 today.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
My former editor likes to passive aggressively remind me of my legacy of bitterness. Here's my paean to St. Valentine's Day from five years ago that she just sent me:
It still holds up, especially the bearded, bleary-eyed, bed-headed photo grafted onto Cupid. Laaaadies?
Monday, February 13, 2012
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Friday, February 03, 2012
- Vague promise to try harder at stuff. #SadResolutions
- Marcus Bachmann to endorse fabulousness.//@EileenDSmith: The coveted endorsement of a useless spouse! RE: Todd Palin will endorse Gingrich.
- Okay, I'm showered, dressed and feel good about my appearance. Now the world officially owes me something. #DailyPreludeToDisappointment
- Can't wait for the episode of Downton Abbey that finally introduces the sassy neighbor, Lady Willona Woods, Duchess of Cabrini Green.
- Slept in a hyperbaric chamber like Michael Jackson. Wasn't working, so I switched to a hyperbolic chamber. Now I'm going to live FOREVER!
- Health Tip: When eating, ask yourself, "Does this tastes like infarction?" If yes, maybe think about a smaller portion.
- Just threw out a tub of whipped butter that expired in April of 2009. It's been a tumultuous three years for both of us.
- I'm the sit-com buddy/weird-neighbor in my own life. #SpinOff
- I'm not saying that I'm a world-class expert on the over-medium fried egg, but overheard my waitress tell the cook, "He's here." #Polvos
- Citywide Yard Sale again? Another chance to be reminded that some of the poor have managed to trade their ankles for some sweet-ass rims.