Monday, April 30, 2012

Comedy Binge



Moontower Comedy & Oddity Festival


While I probably could have scored a free pass with just a phone call, volunteering ensured that I’d make it out of the house every night from start to finish. As a result, I was downtown all four nights from 6 to 12, on call about half the time, free to go to shows for the rest.

Wednesday

  • The Parish - Ian Karmel, Paul Varghese, Hannibal Buress
Thursday
  • The Parish - Chris Cubas, Rory Scovel, Chelsea Peretti
  • Beale Street - Double Header: Ramin Naze, Erin Jackson, Sean Patton
Friday
  • Beale Street - Austin Show: David McQuary, Holly Lorka, Jimmie Roulette, Brian Gaar, Matt Sadler, Danny Palumbo, Kath Barbadoro, Nick Mullen, Scott Hardy, Ramin Naze
  • The Parish - Show House: Moshe Kasher, Brendon Walsh, Nikki Glaser, Marc Maron, Lucas Molandes, Ari Shaffir, Duncan Trussell
Saturday
  • The Parish - Mike MacRae, Nikki Glaser, John Mulaney
Great comedy at every show. My favorites from each night: Hannibal Buress, Chelsea Peretti, Nikki Glaser, John Mulaney. Mulaney was the biggest surprise. Knew he was funny, but holy moly. Complete, seemingly effortless command, throughout his set. One of the best comedy sets I’ve ever seen, company that includes Hannibal Buress, Kyle Kinane, Maria Bamford, Patton Oswalt and Louis C.K.

---
Regrets
  • Couldn't fit in a show with Maria Bamford.
  • Only got to see a 10 minute set from Marc Maron.
  • Couldn't fit in any improv/sketch shows at Stateside or New Movement Theater.
  • Forgot to bring Excedrin on Thursday night. I’m not being precious or cute when I say that I smiled and laughed until my head hurt, every night. Same thing happened during SxSW, when I ended up at four comedy shows in one night. Headache medicine is a must. Didn't make the same mistake on Friday and Saturday.
---
From my perspective, the festival seemed like an unqualified success, and was certainly more polished and well-run than the first ACL Fest.

Love this town.

No comments: